Educate: Learn About Ergonomics
Top 10 Tips for Wellness in the Office Workplace
Just want the basics? Simply remember these ten tips for workplace wellness.
The Comfortable Computing Top 10
Only Time for One Tip?
The eyes lead the body: Move your screen where it is easiest to view for better overall body posture!
- Position the top of your monitor screen at eye level. If using bifocals, lower the monitor further and turn screen upward
- Tilt your monitor back 10° to 20° to keep the same focal length as your eyes scan from the top to bottom of screen. If using bifocals, use a 30° to 40° angle
- Position your monitor no closer than 20" (50 cm) from your eyes. A good rule of thumb is an arm’s length distance. The larger a screen, the more distance you’ll want. With bifocals, the distance should be 16" (40 cm), matching the lenses focal length
- The top of your keyboard should be level with the height of your elbow
- Tilt your keyboard back slightly so that your wrists remain flat
- Use a wrist rest so your hands and wrists remain relaxed
- Rest your eyes periodically by focusing on an object 20+ feet (6+ m) away
- Use an easily adjusted chair, display mount and keyboard tray. Change the position of your display and keyboard to accommodate reflexive changes in your posture
- Stand and stretch your back and arms from time to time
- Best situation: Stand more! Arrange your workstation so you can stand periodically while computing